Saturday, March 30, 2013

Blog Post #10

I'm A Papermate, I'm A Ticonderoga


I studied this picture for a while and didn't realized what point Mr. Spencer was trying to get at. Well the saying under the first guy says,"I'm a Papermate, I cost less, but I break all the time." This says to me that the papermate pencil is a little less expensive that the other but it breaks all the time. So you would have to buy more pencils and you would have to spend more money to buy more pencils. When on the other hand for the Ticonderoga Pencil, you can buy one and would last longer. The price for one Ticonderoga pencil would be more that papermate but you wouldn't have to buy as many. I guess you could use this in a situation of teaching, when you have a choice to go the cheaper way and have to do it more times, or go the long way and last a long time.


Why were your kids playing games?

In this blog post by Mr. John T. Spencer, he is showing a conversation about a principal and a teacher talking about a game that he/she has played in the classroom. The principal has decided that no more games should be played at school. They say that he/she should be doing school work like algorithmic worksheets and Jonestown Intervention worksheets. Then the teacher changed the whole thing around with a game that creates an algorithm factory and integrate it into our Conflict-Oriented Reading and Writing Project (a.k.a. The Factory Game). This means that we as teachers can use things that bore children and turn them around to a fun project or game so they can learn the subject better. We don't always have to make boring projects or worksheets for the kids, we can make learning a fun thing with the kids to inspire them to learn more.


Don't teach your kids this stuff, please?

In Mr. McLeods blog, he argued that technology shouldn't be allowed in classrooms. The thing was is that there wasn't much of a argument from me, because I agree with him. I never used technology in the classroom to learn and we were never allowed phones and other technological items. The people that have created technology for kids didn't use it. How do I know that? Well if they hadn't of created it it would have never been created? Here's a link to Mr. Mcleods accomplishments.

3 comments:

  1. Papermate is a metaphor for a PC. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series (66 over 4 years) of Apple ads starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

    "In Mr. McLeods blog, he argued that technology shouldn't be allowed in classrooms. The thing was is that there wasn't much of a argument from me, because I agree with him. I never used technology in the classroom to learn and we were never allowed phones and other technological items. " Wow. You missed Dr. McLeod's satire and his sarcastic message: you can try to keep your kids away from technology which is fine with me. Mine will use it and speed past your kids in skills, abilities and rewards. Do you really want to ban all technology from all classrooms? Where do you expect to apply for a job in education? i hope you save an alternative plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saying that technology shouldn't be in the classroom at all Dr. Strange I'm saying tht the children shouldn't have them in there hands at all times. It'll be distracting, they will not be paying attention to the teacher. Now teachers should have it at all times to get information to teach the students

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ethan! At first, I did not have a clue what the I'm A Papermate, I'm A Ticonderoga picture either, then I finally figured out it was a metaphor for the Mac and PC commercial. I also did the Don't teach your kids this stuff, please? post. You are entitled to your opinion, and that is fine with me. However, in this post for Mr. McLeod's blog, he is using satire to prove his belief that technology is essential for students in the classroom. I'm sure you are not the only one who got a little confused with this so don't worry.

    ReplyDelete