Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog Post #7

Randy Pausch Last Lecture

In the video, Randy talked about different lessons and techniques that he has learned throughout his career in academics. He revolved his whole career around something that he had dreamed about since he was a child. These things have helped him learn those techniques and lessons. There one one technique he spoke about that I feel would be the most important and that is the "Fundamentals." The reason why these are so important is because it gives the children or whoever you are teaching the baseline to revolve around and to add what they have learned too. Without these there would be no backbone to work off of.

There were some lessons he learned in his career and one of the was that when you are doing something bad or wrong and no one helps you or yells at you to correct it then they don't care about you. This really spoke out to me and my future as a teacher. If I am so careless to where I do not correct or teach these children through trial and error techniques and showing them its ok to be wrong sometimes, but you have to correct them. This would show the kids that I cared and tried to put them on the best route to a successful life and career. Another lesson was there are good and bad ways to say certain things. It's all according to how you say is how it influences the child. You can tell a child no in a way that will still encourage them. Last lesson I have wrote down is "Wait, and people will surprise you."If we are having trouble with kids or people we need to be patient and the problem will surprise you. Another important thing to keep in mind for teachers is being a good role model and being the leader of the group. For example, an army won't fight to well without their captain. The room will be a crazy room if there is no leadership or role model for them to rely on. Another thing that he said was to teach the children by letting them learn things indirectly, such as kids at football don't just learn how to play football, but they learn about teamwork and discipline. We as teachers can use this technique by using group work, and showing them teamwork, leadership, and social skills.
Through this whole video I have learned a lot to use with teaching and even life, but there was two things that really stuck and hit me. One was having something to bring to the table. This meant to me that I need to have something to teach something that the kids have never heard before and things that interest them to carry on with their future education. The second thing, but the best was a quote to use when telling them about their work. It went like this, "This is good, but I know you can do better." This probably wouldn't effect some kids, but in future events or work it will make them want to do their job or school work better and help to be more successful in life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ethan, Your post is well written. Randy did make a lot of really great points about different lessons and techniques that he has learned throughout his career in academics. I love that you made it personal to yourself as an educator. “This really spoke out to me and my future as a teacher. If I am so careless to where I do not correct or teach these children through trial and error techniques and showing them its ok to be wrong sometimes, but you have to correct them. This would show the kids that I cared and tried to put them on the best route to a successful life and career” this is a great way look at it. Being able to show the kids that you care and earning their trust is a great approach to your classroom. Good luck with the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I am so careless to where I do not correct or teach these children through trial and error techniques and showing them its ok to be wrong sometimes, but you have to correct them. " This sentence is very awkward. I am not sure it is actually a complete sentence. It needs work.

    "Last lesson I have wrote down is..." Bad grammar. Either The last lesson I wrote down... or The last lesson I have written down...

    "... but there was two things..." were, not was

    "...that really stuck and hit me...." Did you mean struck? Even then the sentence is awkward.

    I know, or at least hope, that you can write better than this.


    ReplyDelete