Saturday, February 2, 2013

Blog Post #3

Peer Editing

After watching the video “What is Peer Editing” I began to realize that teachers use a similar format when grading papers I wrote in my past schooling. Also, I was happy because it was short and to the point. I realized that when we comment on our classmates blogs, that we should comment encouraging words as well as correctional suggestions. During the whole period, we still have to stay positive. It helped me realize that this whole time of commenting on other people’s blogs, that I’ve been doing it wrong the whole time.
I especially like the video with the children going over the steps in peer editing, and the many different ways that we or the person whose paper we edited react to peer editing. I’ve never seen or had people like Mean Margaret or some of the others when it comes to editing, but I’d imagine that there are people like them. I would rate myself as the one that didn’t really care about his paper or editing his partners, but that was in my past during high school. Now I care and try to stay positive when editing papers.


The Mountbatten

In this video, I learned something that shocked me, and it was that young children were teaching senior citizens who were impaired on how to use certain technology. I never realized the amount of technology that was out there to help the visually impaired and deaf. I always wondered how they made the braille also. This subject has really opened up my eyes on how to treat and help these types of people.


Teaching the Blind and Deaf

In these videos, I have really learned an issue that hardly ever is recognized. This is teaching the blind or visually impaired. I never really thought of learning math or algebra without having my vision. The video on teaching math to the blind really is focusing in on making certain jobs that require mathematics and knowledge available to them. I really believe that in the near future that levels of math higher than pre-algebra will be met and be available to the blind.
Some other issues that are shown in the last two videos are ways that the blind can learn on their own. One thing that technology has for the blind is from Apple’s Ipad. The Ipad can speak out loud what the person is touch or what app their finger is currently on. They can listen to eBooks and learn stories that are required for students in high school and college. The most impressive thing of all is that they can learn all this on their own.


Harness Your Student’s Smarts

In the video, Harness Your Student’s Smarts, there was a very good topic on children learning to teach themselves basically. The kids would use the internet to google and learn certain definitions. They would find new ways to add things to virtual worlds, or learn how to write a blog or twitter. I find that these methods of teaching would help the kids or who ever is learning it teach themselves.
It would help in every subject in school, such as, math, English or whatever class they have. If they had a problem with math they could look the problem up on the internet. The same things go for other subjects, too. There are thousands of sites online that you can look up problem or subjects to help you in school. The reason why I know is because I have done the same thing myself in Calculus. These classes help children to think that there is always help or to use critical thinking to solve problems.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ethan!
    I completely agree with your blog post. There are so many different ways to peer edit and I think that being positive and encouraging to others is very important. Like you, I thought of myself to be a lazy editor and never really cared much about others papers until I got to college. Fortunately I have never encountered anyone who was negative towards my writing. The way the young children addressed the rights and wrongs of revision was educational and creative, I thought. I thought the Mountbatten video was a great way to show how blind and deaf can use technology. Teaching the blind and deaf I'm sure is challenging and can be frustrating but with the advancement of technology in the classroom I bet it makes it easier. This was a great post to read and I enjoyed it! Best of luck with EDM310!
    -Gabby

    ReplyDelete